Information on Caregiving
The Far Shore of Aging
Jane Gross has practical advice and wisdom about caring for our loved ones and ourselves. Listen to her Far Shore of Aging podcast at onbeing.org.
When Someone You Love is Dying
“Hospice never takes away hope,” said Kristin Harlocker, supervisor of social services at Los Alamitos Medical Center. “People can still hope for a cure or hope for a time when treatment might become an option for them again. Some people actually do get better while on hospice.” Read more on hospice from a caregiver’s perspective, “When Someone You Love is Dying” by Treacy Colbert.
How to Let Go When A Loved One is Dying
A candid look at end-of-life issues from PBS News Hour and Bonnie Lawrence of the Family Caregiver Alliance. For full article and additional resources, see: “How to Let Go When A Loved One is Dying”
Find helpful information to ensure that your loved one stays safe throughout their illness in Regional Hospice and Palliative Care’s Patient Safety Handbook (PDF). NOTE: the contact information in this handbook has changed, but the helpful tips remain the same.
Handbook for Patients and their Families
This comprehensive booklet provides an excellent overview of Regional Hospice and Palliative Care’s many services, along with patient and caregivers rights and responsibilities, billing and payment information and more.
Download the Handbook (PDF)
Websites on Caregiving
- The New Old Age: a blog from The New York Times covering topics related to aging and hospice care from 2009 – 2015. The archived blog posts still offer a helpful insight to caregivers. Paula Span now provides blogs on this topic twice a month at nytimes.com/health.
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization – NHPCO: A leading nonprofit focused on hospice and palliative care with an emphasis on improving end-of-life care for patients and their caregivers.
- CaringInfo.org: Information for caregivers provided by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- CaringBridge.org: A place for patients, families and friends to connect when faced with a serious illness.
- Psychology Today: Caregiving: Articles on the joys and sorrows of caregiving, along with advice on aging parents from leading experts.
- Caregiver.org: comprehensive caregiving education and resources provided by the Family Caregiver Alliance